Destination London

By Christina Versail : Touro Law School

This summer I had the opportunity to intern in London, England. There, I worked in the legal department at Arsenal Football Club Plc. The main focus of the legal department at Arsenal was Intellectual Property.

Arsenal’s goal was to decrease trademark right infringements, passing-off issues, and the use of outsourced legal council to handle these types of litigations. Since the legal department was being reorganized I was able to aid in that reconstruction. I was excited in being able to have hands-on experience and to work independently. I was responsible for creating cease and deceit letters, on-site film and crew release forms, contest guidelines, and enforcement guide brochures which aided officials in identifying false Arsenal/Nike products. I particularly enjoyed visits to the Westminster Trading Standards where my supervisor and I would identify false merchandise and cease them for future litigation.
Interning abroad gave me the opportunity to also experience the lifestyle and culture of London. There is so much to see and do in this city. One cannot go here and not take advantage of the numerous sites such as the London Bridge, the London Eye, Victoria and Albert Museum, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Harrods, and best of all Oxford Street. Oxford Street is known as the main touristy shopping areas of London and is similar to New York City’s 5th avenue. Although London had it own sense of fashion, their entertainment industry (television and cinema) appeared to be heavily influenced by the American culture. This tendency is also apparent in the music industry as well.
Overall, my experience in London was amazing. I encourage others to study abroad if the opportunity arises. It is a life changing experience that you will learn and grow from. Networks for a Successful Tomorrow

No comments: